Packham Pears (per kg)
Storage and Handling
Ripen at room temperature then store in the refrigerator. Handle all fresh produce with care and wash before eating.
Pears are native to Europe and have been cultivated since ancient times. Modern varieties were developed from the European pear.
- The main varieties of pears grown in New Zealand are Beurre Bosc, Taylors Gold, Doyenne du Comice and Packham’s Triumph
- Depending on the variety pear skin can be green, brown, golden or even red
- Pears are a good source of dietary fibre
- Like the apple, the pear is a “pome” fruit
- Pears develop more flavour when they ripen off the tree
- They are usually picked (by hand) just prior to being ripe